We woke up this morning to our first dusting of snow. Yesterday had been a day of many errands, new eyeglasses, haircut, oil change for Eleanor, yada, yada, yada, but most importantly, a new driver's license - mine expires soon -with my short hair. It will be nice not to have to explain my ID anymore. I was so pleased with myself for all the tasks that I had shoehorned into one trip to town, and then to be rewarded with this. I'm not fond of summer heat, so this was a treat.
And to make the day even sweeter, we had a nice dose of curly-headed grandchildren therapy. Kiernan has found friends out here and couldn't wait to go play. Alexia informed me that she was starving and indeed, it appears that she was. She had seconds, then ended up snuggling on the sofa with Papa, where she soon feel asleep. It has to be hard on kids. We all go at life so hard, and they get swept up in the pace.
They'll get no sympathy from Charlie who can't wait until they leave. Every visit is torture for him and he hides until they leave. Our bathroom window is one of his favorite spots. It's not that they are mean - he's never let them get close. I think it's that they are so active - and we are not. They're just aliens to him.
This was the perfect way to end my weekend. It's a 10-pound batch of soap, all wrapped up to begin the curing process. Just about everything that can go wrong, did. The worst moment was when the bottom of my electric stirring stick fell off and went into the soap that was already at trace and desperately needed to be poured. Any of my other recipes would have been fine, but this is Mint Chocolate and I need to blend some traced soap with cocoa powder so that it can be poured into the main soap for a marbled effect. In my frantic attempts to get it done before the soap seized, I burned myself for the first time in ten years. It's not serious, but sobering nevertheless. It doesn't hurt - wrong word - to be reminded about caution when it comes to working with lye. Other than that, it was a very good weekend.
1 day ago