Saturday, September 07, 2013
I called Ian and we agreed that Eleanor needed to be towed to the dealership. I love this car. I have loved this car more than any I have ever owned. While waiting inside the credit union for the tow truck, I asked about new car financing. Ian and I talked while I waited - we suddenly realized that we might have to cut our losses, given the high mileage, and start over with a new car.
I left home at 1:00, pulled into the credit union at 2:00, and skipping all my errands, arrived at the library one minute early to meet with the weaving outreach committee at 5:45. The meeting started at 6:30 and I got out of there at 8:45. Long day.
I woke up early the next morning, after a restless sleep, knowing we were going to be facing some espensive decisions. Scott was supposed to call with an estimate on the repair expenses, but Ian had been reading stuff online and came to the conclusion that we were looking at blown head gaskets, most likely something that has been slowly developing ever since Eleanor's radiator blew up in the desert 18 months ago. We've noticed a burned smell to the engine after driving, like an overspill of coolant. If that were the case, given that we needed new struts and brakes, we decided to pull the cord.
We always check Consumer Reports before making a purchase and Ian discovered that they offer a discount service, must like Costco. He was up early Thursday morning and locked in a negotiated price with Lithia Subaru. He had two confirmation emails from them and then a personal email from their Internet sales manager, saying he was up and to give him a call. Ian was feeding and watering, so told me to call. The guy's name was Paul and when I told him I wanted a standard transmission and a light exterior, he told me he'd have one waiting for us.