Friday, July 25, 2014

Weaving in July

We have just finished a week of unusual weather, overcast and muggy with some rain. In fact we got heavy rain one evening which continued as a gentle soaking rain for almost twelve hours - most unusual for July. That doesn't ordinarily happen until the end of August, if it happens at all.
I finally finished the bougainvillea towels. I've decided to only weave two colors instead of eight. I'll stick to eight colors in the weft since that lets me do a little color mixing of my own, but it's much easier and cheaper to list just two sales in Etsy, rather than eight. I hand hemmed one of the red ones and have sent it in as one of my two entries in the Nevada County Fair.



I came across this scarf in Cindie Kitchen's Etsy store and was flabbergasted when she noted it was a four-shaft weave called Wall of Troy. I decided to weave this draft myself and asked her permission to share this photo in case someone else wants to give it a try.
This is the Wall of Troy draft.
I decided to weave it white on white since I have three cones of white tencel that I bought to use for painted warps - that I haven't even tried. I figured if I'm going to make a mess and waste yarn, it might as well something I have a lot of. I'm pleased at how well it's going but I have to say that warping white is hard on the eyes.
I'm astounded at my ability to find new mistakes to make. This time I left a bunch of heddles right in the middle of the heddle bar. It's more cosmetic than anything. It's not affecting the weaving but it's not pretty.
I had to get my car serviced so walked across the street to Grassroot Books and came home with these. I realize it's been a while since I've written a post about books. Next time.
Ornery cat - she snagged the bag my books were in. Check out her ears. Tomorrow is our guild's first learn-to-weave workshop and I've got the Dorothy warped and safe from Maddie under a quilt. You know how I'll be spending my Saturday.

7 comments:

Hilary said...

omg, I love the colors in those towels....they MOVE me...

Scott said...

Lovely work! But a question: the blue & green scarf doesn't seem to match the draft (which does match your white scarf). Or are my eyes going crooked? Plus I tried to find Cindie Kitchen's Etsy shop, but without success. Could you tell us the name of it? Thanks!

Sharon said...

Scott, you didn't leave an email address so I hope you check back here. Cindie's shop is Eweniquely Ewe and she has absolutely fabulous scarves

Cindie said...

Actually wrong scarf picked from my shop - that's one of my original drafts - Iranian Tilework. Here's the Wall of Troy scarf - https://www.etsy.com/listing/192217543/handwoven-bamboo-scarf-purple-pink?ref=shop_home_active_21

Sharon said...

Cindie sent me the correct image for the scarf and I've substituted in for the one I erroneously posted. It's gorgeous!

weavinfool said...

Lovely weaving and good colors.

I've actually read some of those books. Nice selection.

Cindie said...

The white on white scarf is going to be stunning!