I removed the template today and it's pristine - huge relief!
I explained to Pat that I had to keep that area white so I could collage this piece on but she just shook her head and said, no collage - no glue. Gleep. I'm pretty content with this project and obviously it's not a work of art, just a work of learning experience. She had listed three directives for this: 1) Dominant color - yellow ochre; 2) Must have an architectural detail - window; 3) Must have an element: earth, fire, water, air - clouds, ala Rene Magritte. I was feeling pretty smug until she said - No glue!
As for Maudie Mae's broken wing, I bought mountaineer webbing from Gear Fix, a business right next door to the A6 studio. I was dropping off my Tai Chi shoes there to have the forefoot stretched when I realized that the shoe guy might be able to put in a rivet. Here's the old and new webbing. He was impressed that the 60-year-old cotton webbing had lasted as long as it did.
This is the unbroken webbing but as you can it was just a matter of time before it broke too.
The new webbing is perfect and there's that wonderful rivet. I got everything back together this morning and was able to weave two towels and start a third. I didn't realize that the old webbing had started to stretch so that the apron rod wasn't square to the breast beam. I noticed the difference today almost right away.
I was devastated when the webbing snapped and I was at a loss what to do next. I can't help think how both of the things I worked on today had that in common. I didn't know what to do to fix things but when I dug in and went to work, the solutions evolved in the process. It was a productive day.