Saturday, January 16, 2021

Keeping it real

I'm enjoying the Bronwyn sweater very much.  I always wonder why I keep making sweaters for me.  One of the ladies in our knitting group gives away almost everything she knits and she's a fast and brilliant knitter.  I decided I should be knitting for Alexia.  She's 16 now and would appreciate my work, so I asked her if she would like me to knit the Bronwyn pattern for her.  I told her the specs of the yarn and set her loose on Web's website.  Several hours later she decided she liked the same yarn that I'm knitting the best so it's been ordered and is in route.

At the same time I've joined a KAL (knit along) along with several ladies in my knitting group.  We've created a special group without our WhatsAp app which has been helpful.  This is a cardigan which is a little harder than knitting in the round.  Getting started was the hardest part but now that I can see the patterns better, the charts are easier to read.
I made this hat for Delaney last week from some yarn that I had spun very badly many years ago.  It's just been taking up space but it was just the ticket for her cap.

On days the afternoons are nice, Delaney and I have started walking out to the mailbox.  She was nervous at first but is loving it now.  She is almost tall enough to reach to reach the door handle so we're going to have to lock the deadbolts from now on.

On this particular day we got to the street just as a young couple with stroller and leashed dog walked by.  She was ready to go with them.  A baby and a dog!  What's not to like?!!  This is the most recent sweater I've made her and I'm taking a break.  She's growing too fast!!
I have to admit that it's pretty cute but the lacy knitted-in button bands make the front of the sweater hang almost 2" longer in the front than the back.  From now on I'll be picking up stitches and knitting in the button band.  Lesson learned.
I am trying to get back to weaving before I forget how.  I just received an order for six more cones of yarn and in new colors.  I hadn't planned to use these all together but now that I've seen them, that's exactly what I'm going to do, just as soon as I figure out what that is.
I'm over half way through with this summer and winter project and have finally figured out why the shuttle goes under groups of threads and creates loops on the backside.  I've made two changes.  I remove my foot from the treadle just as soon as I'm finished with that treadle and I slide my foot back to rest on the bar.  I also advance the warp very often and work as close to the fell as I possibly can.  The last two towels are error free.  The first one is not but I had planned to keep that one anyway and now I have to.

The guild board was having our quarterly meeting on  the morning of the 6th and all our phones were pinging the whole session.  If we had understood the magnitude of the events I'm not sure we would have been able to continue.  This past Wednesday we realized that our general meeting was scheduled for the same time as the inauguration.  So we decided since our meetings are on Zoom that we could hold just one meeting this month and lump the Saturday meeting with the Wednesday meeting, but oh dear, the video wasn't working on Zoom.  So I cancelled both meetings.  We have some great programs coming up and I'm looking forward to them, but we just need to get past January 20th.





 

No comments: