Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The Unexpected

I took Delaney to the park this afternoon, hoping to tire her out for a long nap.  It's a beautiful day and wonderful to be out from under the choking smoke.

She is just starting to get the hang of the play equipment, but the slide still baffles her.
She absolutely loves the swings.  It's her favorite and she squeals "Whee) on every forward swing.  And here is where I tell you the bad news.  Her parents have decided to sell their house and move back to Reno. After watching Delaney for 2 1/2 years, this is tough to swallow.  They have a list of reasons and I understand where they're coming from, but I don't like it.  I plan to enjoy her right up to moving day.
I'm lucky to have an engrossing hobby to help me move forward.  I checked out this rigid heddle loom from the guild equipment library and made this scarf with sock yarn as my first project.  It turns out someone else wanted to borrow it for a class, a beginning weaver, and so I hurried up to finish this and return it.  It was fun but I don't know that I'll be buying one anytime soon.  A Girl Scout is collecting 100 scarves for a badge so I put this one in that collection.
And I'm fortunate to be in the middle of a shadow weave workshop with Jennifer Moore.  I bought the yarn as a kit from Lunatic Fringe and chose the autumn colorway.  We had the option of 5/2 and 10/2 yarn.  Because of babysitting I am only able to attend two of the four recorded sessions of the instruction and they have been excellent.  I am able to replay spots that confuse me.  We had the option of using a four-shaft loom or an 8-shaft loom.  With the splint on my wrist I opted for four-shaft and 5/2 yarn or the class, then will do the eight-shaft later.
During Delaney's nap today I experimented with supplementary yarns, ones that weren't part of the kit.  The last session will be Thursday but the kids have asked me to babysit because they're going to a funeral in Reno on Friday.  I'll watch the instructions and will have all day Friday to weave, or until my back gives out.
I'm still knitting chemo caps and have four done so I need to drop them off.  There's still quite a bit of the yarn from Triana so I think I'll have enough for a dozen by the time I'm done.

And here is where I tell you the bad news.  Delaney's parents have decided to sell their house and move back to Reno. After watching Delaney for 2 1/2 years, this is tough to swallow.  They have a list of reasons and I understand where they're coming from, but I don't like it.  I plan to enjoy her right up to moving day. Matt dropped Delaney off the morning of the 31st and said he had an announcement to make.  I actually thought he twas going to tell me that they were separating.  I've sensed heaviness from both of them for at least a month.  But it's not a health issue.  I have to remind myself of the things their news is not, a crutch for now.

That afternoon my daughter called with even worse news.  She is going to need open-heart surgery and they're hoping to be able to do it in October.  It's called Bicuspid Aortic Valve Disease and it's a birth defect.  Her father also had this surgery.  I've lost sleep over this and somehow it makes Delaney's move a little less traumatic.  Chrissie has to stay in the hospital for a week and another six weeks at home after the surgery.  I'll go down as soon as she wants me there.  I will be so glad when this is behind us, the sooner the better and before the snow flies.






 

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry, Sharon. I have another friend whose only grandchild is being moved away from her, and she is ANGRY. Easier than being heartbroken, probably. Prayers for you and your daughter.

Valerie said...

Hi Sharon, I'm so sorry for your news. You've had such a sweet and special time with Delaney. I hope everything works out for that little family.
Also prayers for your daughter's surgery and recovery.

Having been immersed in Covid bad news for a year and half only makes other hard news even more difficult to bear.

Know that you are wished all the best.

Rosieposie said...

I hoped 2021 would be better for all but it has been unkind to you my friend. You are creating such beautiful weaving even with that bum thumb! I don’t know how you do it. You are an artist always seeking new challenges. Wow.

I know not having Delaney nearby hurts your heart. Reno isn’t across the country. We’d all love to see you. And Chrissie..oh my lord. She is one of the strongest people I know. She’s hit every challenge in her life with determination and grace. You too ma’m. You have a gentle soul. Saying prayers and hugs to both of you.
Rosie B

danielle said...

Oh my, it doesnt rain but it pours...
Lots of well wishes, positive healing etc for your daughter.
You have all the time and memories of caring for Delaney to keep in your heart...and it is something that will definitely make her into the woman she will become. You will still be able to visit - and you can skype (or whatever) ....and a relocation is far less devastating than you were fearful about!