Monday, April 13, 2020

Self-Quarantine Lethargy Blues


Ian found this at Costco, two ten-pound bags of unbleached all-purpose flour.  I'm making a single loaf each week, whether we use up the previous loaf or not.  And I'm slowly getting better and more predictable.

I made this loaf last Thursday and got distracted by the baby so that it ended up rising three times.  I'm planning to make another loaf this Thursday but not just with bread flour.  This time I'm going with a mix of white, whole wheat and oats.  Ian found a pound of whole wheat at Newport Market.  It's in a deli container and priced at $.99/pound.  I'll use it sparingly.


Yesterday I walked through the planned community next to us and was touched by this sideway art.  At the other end someone had traced children with chalk and written, "We're all in this together."  This end was all flowers and the encouragement to "Take a deep breath."  This truly is the great unknown.


Last fall I was invited to participate in a print exchange in May to celebrate Pat Clark's 85th birthday. Our agreement to participate was due October 11, 2019 and was anticipated to be an edition of 30.  We were given a statement from which to pull our inspiration and the reception/celebration was to be in May 2020.  Oh how the world has changed in those six months.  I expect I'm the only printmaker submitting hand-burnished relief prints which has been a tall order.  I learned a lot.  I still consider myself a student even if with the closing of the A6 studio I don't have a teacher.


 
I finished printing yesterday and numbered, named and signed them today.  It's actually an edition of 40 and I almost feel bad since I'm the only student who was invited, but I did my best and I hold my head up high. The best part for me was getting back into the printmaking groove.  I've fallen prey to lethargy during self-quarantine but that's over. 


Of course it helps that this sunny little girl is here every week and now we've gotten several sunny days in a row.  Gardening cannot be far behind.



1 comment:

karensspinzen said...

I'm back in the bread making mode, too. I've found wonderful information on "Bake with Jack", his YouTube videos in particular. Have fun with it!