Sunday, November 15, 2020

A Little Bit of Getaway


This is the vacation house that Rochelle owns on the Island.  We've been anxious to visit with her ever since her second open-heart surgery,  She thought she was well enough for visitors so all of us came out to the island Sunday morning.  They spent the day with us and we stayed another four. Unfortunately Rochelle wasn't as ready as she thought and couldn't come back out the next day so we weren't able to see her again before we left.  The good news is that they've identified the problems and she is feeling much better.  Now would be the time to visit except Oregon and Washington are shutting down again for two weeks to get a handle on the spiking Covid cases.  Plus our weather window has closed.  We drove home in rain but now there is snow in the mountains and on the passes.  

The first couple of days were beautiful and I sat on the deck overlooking Puget Sound and read and knitted until the deck went into chilly shade.
The houses here in this 100-year-old vacation cottage community are right on the Sound and this is low tide looking toward Tacoma.
This is looking just the opposite direction.  It's quite a hike up the hill to the parking area.
This is the moon rising over SeaTac which is just across the way,
and sunrise the next morning.
We figured it was a good day because Mt Ranier was out but the weather turned quickly after this and the rest of our stay was in the infamous Pacific Northwest rain, but even that was enjoyable.
I got great entertainment from an app I downloaded called Vessel Finder Lite which identified the ships and gave information about them.  Not all were as large as this Evergreen container ship.  The rain varied in intensity but not in continuity.  The sky was bleeding!!  The visit was a wonderful treat.  Ian's son Doug joined us for the last couple of days and then came back to Bend for a few more days.  

I have been doing a lot of knitting and this is the latest sweater I've finished for Delaney.  
She was hamming up her modeling but it tells me she likes it.  I got online last night and ordered more knitting yarn from Webs - two more sweaters for her and one for me.  At least I don't outgrow mine.
Last evening the eight (nine with Delaney) of us gathered at J Dubs which has turned into our go-to family event restaurant.  They paper the tables and Matt always draws something with the crayons they provide.  His daughter upstaged him last night with this masterpiece.  Grandson Evan turned 17 this week and in spite of being his party, the only pictures I took were of Delaney.  I don't think his feelings were hurt.

With Oregon's two-week lockdown starting Wednesday, it means we won't be having Thanksgiving dinner after more than 25 years of the same tradition.  Oddly of all the celebration dinners we've had in the last five years since we moved here I think I enjoyed last night the most.  The shadow of Covid reminded me of how lucky I am to be right here in the same place with my family.  Thankful?  You bet I am.












1 comment:

Michelle said...

Yes! We have much to be thankful for, no matter how much things have changed!