Saturday, November 21, 2020

Trying New Things

I taped a piece of butcher paper to the dining room table and gave Delaney her new set of markers.  She has trouble getting the lids off and on so I removed them for her.


She really went to town.



It held her interest for quite a while.

I decided that maybe giving her a set of markers was premature when this happened.

She even decorated the sweater I just finished for her.  I know they'll wash out but at least she chose harmonious colors.  My first reaction was, 'nuff of that!  We'll try again in six months, but on reflection I decided why not?  They're washable and she's creative.  But I will wait a week, or two.
This is about a quarter of a fleece that I bought last spring.  I am spinning a little but am mostly interested in fiber preparation at this point.  I haven't been able to get small batches clean enough to spin easily and I've heard a lot of good things about a suint bath so on Monday, one week since I put this in, I'm going to check to see how the wool is doing.




 

1 comment:

Nina said...

I've had some success with suint baths, but not enough that I love doing it this way. Instead, I go to a big box hardware store and get some Zep orange degreaser. It's relatively inexpensive, mild, has a good smell, and I can buy it by the 4 litres. Better yet, a little glug in the first soapy wash, cuts the lanolin nicely and gets rid of a lot of the dirt. It has cut my washes on really filthy fleece in half.
I found this trick from a gal who processed and sold her home grown fibre.