Saturday, June 30, 2007

Last Day of June

This is Porcupine Mountain, an actual feature on USGS maps, though I don't know why it's a mountain since the top is just shy of 6,000 feet. However, it is home to our home. We've never seen a porcupine so I'm thinking the name comes from the shape. Does it kinda look like a waddling spiny mammal with the Juniper trees poking up here and there?



When I walk the dogs in the morning I am astounded that here at the end of June there are still wildflowers. What sustains them though daytime temperatures in the 90s? This is Prickly Poppy. I tried using it as a dye plant last year - bad idea. It got it's name for a reason. Besides the color was insipid.
This is the desert peach, a member of the rose family, now in fruit. Because they are a favorite of tent caterpillars, many of the shrubs are coated in their webs. I was happy to see this one fruited out.


Desert peaches - you can see how the plant gets it's name. I don't see birds eating them and I figure if they're not interested, I'm probably not either.

These thistles are in a field at the south end of White Lake, a seasonal alkali lake on my drive to work . They're considered a noxious weed. I have never seen so many in one place as here.


Ian noticed this morning that we had a visitor on the front deck. I hated to disturb him, but finally tonight I went back and moved his hidey hole for a better shot and then I put it back.
He's a cute little feller.

3 comments:

Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

A Pacific Treefrog I think. Very unexpected! What a lovely surprise!

Leigh said...

Lovely post. I've never visited a desert area, so these photos are of interest to me. What kind of thistle, so you know? Milk thistle? Finches around here love thistle. Best photo is of the little frog!

Jodi said...

The thistles are beautiful! I've never seen so many before, but I suppose that's the result of living in the upper midwest.

Great frog picture!