Sunday, July 18, 2010

Big Rug

I finished the rug finally late this afternoon. I ended up having to sew more strips and almost exhausted all the fabric on hand. I read somewhere that you need to plan on 3-4 pounds of fabric for ?? size rug. It was a borrowed book I read, and I wish I would have made a note of what that measurement is. Sammie is all over it - really. I weighed the rug, with me on the scale, and without. It weigh in at a little over five pounds. What did the scale way without the rug? None of your bees wax!

I managed to resist my Libra urges to make the stripes symme-
trical and am clapping myself on the back. I love the way the warp turned out. I washed it - it's a Libra thing - and it's hanging upstairs to dry. I can't actually use without an anti-skid mat anyway. That will come home with from my Tuesday trip to town.
I've also started washing fleece. This is Limerick whose fleece is not quite black and not quite gray. I bought a pound from Mim and have another pound of red/brown soaking. I really want to knit a sweater with the different colors of Shetland this winter. I realize that I have conveniently spaced all of my own fleeces that need my attention in the garage. Sigh.
I've tried to stay in the house with Ian as much as possible - he still can't tolerate any heat. This evening we've moved to the front porch and are reading when I see this. Do you see it? The tip of an ear?

Eddie does love his hidey holes and has a number of them in the yard. He's such a funny dog. I had to turn the camera on in the house in order to get this picture or he would have run away. I wish I understood dogs better. I'm headed to bed - long day. Tomatoes and pines fed, trees soaked, weeds pulled, 'nother trip to town. I'll update my reading later.

17 comments:

Marion B. said...

your rug is super. Great job. And your dog hiding is so cute. I hope Ian is feeling a little better now, and you too.

re'New said...

That rug turned out REALLY nice! I wish I'd had the opportunity to stay inside this weekend. It was SOOO hot here~ I was on the verge of heat stroke. Two day craft fair in it, and now back to work this morning. No rest for the wicked, I guess.

bspinner said...

Your rug is great!!! I love rag rugs just something so homey about them.

I'm happy that Ian has gotten out of the house.

Valerie said...

The rug is lovely! It's so hot here too....and humid.

As for wishing to know more about dogs, check out author Jon Katz. He's written a number of dog books, but I esp. liked Izzy & Lenore

(I need to get to the gym and my verification word is "movit")

Stay cool!!

LA said...

Your rug turned out great!!! I'm so glad Ian is feeling a little better!

Carolyn Jean Thompson said...

Congrats on your rug! It looks great. Keep cool! Supposed to be 99 today.

Jody said...

What a smart looking rug. That fleece looks nice and shiney too.One of the guard dogs at Hubbert Farms likes to dig holes and lay in them to keep herself cool in this hot weather.

Mim said...

I love your rug too!

Michelle said...

Dogs probably wish they could understand US better! Beautiful rug. I'm thinking you need to check yard sales and Goodwill for inexpensive fabric. Five pounds is a LOT!

Nina said...

I love that rug! The colours worked out beautifully. I'm with you on asymmetrical striping. I have to plan it in as well. Yummy looking fleece!

Alettesiriane said...

A lovely rug !I am also weaving one and having difficulty deciding what colors to use.I will just have to go for it and not look back. lol

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

very nice rug! Is the Libra thing the urge to control all that transpires around you? Cause that would be great if I could blame my control issues on the stars lol

Benita said...

The rug looks awesome!! It ought to last you many years.

My prayers are with Ian. I hope it cools down there soon.

Leigh said...

The rug turned out great! Well done. Especially since it's such a busy time of year.

vlb5757 said...

I love the rug. I love that you can throw it in the washer and dryer and not worry about it. Although a 5 pound rug might be more of a challenge.

I remember a conversation we had not so long ago about retirement. I think you have managed to fill the time beautifully! I am hoping to do the same here shortly.

Robin said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this rug! I have a thing for scap rugs and you really did a great job on mixing the colors.