Wednesday, July 07, 2010

World Cup Spinning

Quite a few years ago now, Laura and I took a class from Judith MacKenzie at Black Sheep Gathering on spinning yarn for socks. Judith said that the less we looked at our spinning, the thinner we would be able to spin our singles. I've found this to be true.

I dyed this Blue Face Leicester several months ago and took it Black Sheep this year, hoping it would like garlic against vampires, and protect me from purchasing more fiber. I had also been using the drop spindle a lot, which seems to have given me more control on my wheel. I ended up spinning this so thin that when the World Cup started, I decided to spin it while I watched.
I stripped the roving to make the colors blend evenly since I was working with three different dye results. I have 12 ounces - haven't calculated the yardage though. I usually like to spin to a project and feel a little lost with this yarn.
These are the braids that I bought for socks. The bottom two are different colorways - Artemis and Art Deco. I thought the medium blue in common would make interesting yarn. I spun it without stripping the roving so got long runs of each color.

I was certainly surprised at how the colors married. The fiber is Blue Face Leicester, bamboo and Tussah Silk from Blarney Yarns. Oh. So. Soft. I finished this skein as Uruguay lost. I had so hoped they'd go on to the finals - the smallest country in FIFA, with a population the size of Montreal. It would have been a fairy tale.
I started spinning the last two braids during the Spain and Germany match today. The colorway is Chestnut and it's 100% Blue Face Leicester from the same vendor. I'm so disappointed that I'll miss the final playoff on Sunday.

I'm leaving in the morning with my daughter and grandkids for my oldest son's home in Bend. My youngest son and his girlfriend are coming up as well. Even though a short visit, my children and four of my grandchildren will be together, and I am absolutely looking forward to it. We'll be driving back on Sunday, at the same time as the final match. Though I'm retire, they all have jobs. Darn it. I'd love a longer visit!

13 comments:

Marion B. said...

Sharon, those sock yarns are fabulous. It's a good thing to have something to do when the game is on. I was glad I did. So exciting (is that the right word for it) I hope you do have a wonderful, though short, time with your children and grandchilderen. It sounds wonderful to have them together. I'll watch the finals with my DH (the shirt is a coincidence yes :-) and son, they are both emotional men so thank you that you will be thinking of me Sunday. Have a save trip home.

Maggie said...

Those are beautiful, and to a new spinner, inspiring! have a good visit!

Theresa said...

And you deserve a world cup IN spinning! Beautiful job and lovely colors every one of them.
Safe trip and have fun in steamy Oregon. I can't believe this heat wave hasn't moved on to you...yet. :-)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous yarns! How many miles have you spun during the games?

Nina said...

I love those colours! The Blue Faced Leicester you dyed is really soft and subtle yet interesting. The braids you bought are pretty too. I love the way the blue turned out and can't wait to see the finished skeins of the others. Absolutely gorgeous and obviously you have an eye for good colour!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I do like the way that blue turned out. Have a great trip.

Jody said...

What gorgeous yarns and amazing colours!

Benita said...

Those yarns are absolutely stunning. I'm not a blue fan, usually, but that blue yarn is do pretty! I think I like it better than the purple one, but don't tell anyone or I'll get kicked out of the Purple-lover's club.

Alettesiriane said...

Your colors are wonderful.Socks made of these will be just perfect!
Have a nice weekend.

Leigh said...

I love the colors! Your yarn looks fantastic. And I know you loved spinning them.

bspinner said...

Beautiful!!!! I love the color of your yarn. Your sock will be great.

vlb5757 said...

Beautiful roving and yarn. I have been looking at some many spinner's yarns that I am thinking I might need to take some more spinning lessons. I want my spinning to be more consistant. I want to learn Navajo plying too.

Kathy said...

Nice yarns! We watched most of World Cup when Val & Hugo were here as they are avid fans, as are most NZ'ers. They went home last week and we were in town while the final was playing.
It was so good to meet you at BSG!!! I just wish I spent more time there and less at the motel. Next time, I may leave family home. heeheehee!
We drove back through Reno (not impressed, sorry) so I got an idea of where you are in the grand scheme of things.
Say hi to Mr. Charlie for me...