Friday, January 19, 2007

Icy When Wet

This is the sign our county roads department has posted at the beginning of the windy little canyon that goes into our valley. Every year people drive too fast for road conditions and pay for it, some more dearly than others. When I'm driving home after work in dicey condition, I'm always alarmed by the tire tracks in snow showing where vehicles have left the road. I don't want that to be me.


Can you see the ice on the stream? This is what the guardrail is guarding against. And if the road were wet, it would look just like this. I guess I'm just dreaming of wet roads as it has been dry to date in January and December wasn't much better. I start to fret about this time when the jet stream pushes storms past us. I am reminded of Edmund in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when he complains that it's always winter but never Christmas. I feel like it always winter and never wet.




Entering the canyon from the other direction is this personal warning, delivered up by a resident sculptor/artist. He means it.

No comments: