This is the prototype for the last and final cap of my Christmas order. I always stress over commis-
sioned work and this was no exception. I talked to Laura on the phone and emailed her ad nauseam. It's a wonder she picks up the phone when she sees my number. She's my coach. I caught the addiction from her but she has since moved one. I made this hat for Ian, and his Virgo self is just happy that all the designs line up.
I didn't realize how busy it was until I was well into the cap. Ian says the flaps will be fine when the cold hits and he can tie them down, but in the meantime they're flaps and nothing more than that. They mostly flap and get caught in his collar.
I went back to the drawing board and made triangular flaps, and instead of garter-
stitch for the ribbing, I chose my usual corrugated rib. I also had trouble with the cast-on between the earflaps for the neck on Ian's cap and had to go back with a row of single crochet to snug it up. Laura talked me through a purl cast on which worked like a charm.
I'm too lazy to crop this so you get the whole action - birthday flowers, Charlie, Ian's crumpled cap and the cookie jar that I use to shape my caps after they're washed. These are the only pictures that I have since the caps have been delivered. I tried on this cap and, oh my goodness, it's like a glove for the head. No wonder flap caps are so popular. She paid me last month - now I can deposit the check!
Small projects, shawl and pumpkiny stuff
54 minutes ago