I long ago lost interest in this sampler. The warp dates back when my friend Nancy came out and helped me warp from back to front. Since I didn't use an interesting threading, I was limited. So I only put a floating selvage on one side to see what it looks like, with and without. I did tabby, 1/3, 2/2 and 3/1 twill and found that it didn't make much difference in 2/2 or 3/1 but it was horrible without one on 1/3.
I also lashed onto the apron rod. I've always tied on in the past and several people told me that lashing on was the only way to go. I never was able to get a completely even tension, so now I can say that I prefer tying on.
I would have cut the project from the warp and started over except that I just couldn't face warping with those wire heddles. And then the Texsolv heddles that I ordered from Woodland Woolworks came. They've been here a month and I just didn't get to it, that's all.
Today was the day. I found instructions online, no problem. I brought my sheds downstairs and compared them to the computer screen. I couldn't understand the pictures so I went to Google images. I learned today that I've been regularly misspelling this because when I typed in "texolv heddles," the fourth hit was my profile picture from a comment I had made on Sue's blog. Yikes! However, when I spelled it correctly, I found pictures to work by.
Here they are. I think they're beautiful. I was so nervous in the beginning because of all the cautions and warnings in the instructions, but I even got the courage to clip them apart. I did it first as a sample but when I realized that they slide more easily, clipped them all. I only had four sheds to snip. I can't imagine doing this on eight or more. I must have a thousand wire heddles leftover!
I didn't have time to start anything today so decided rather to orange oil the wood. It looks great and is ready to go. Unfortunately, I am not. We babysit this weekend so it needs to fold up and go back in the dormer.
I took the dogs for a walk afterwards and thought about a name for this loom. I think it needs a name. It has a nice history, good action, wide open shed and is just a little worn these days with a couple of pieces missing. Goldie strikes me as the right name. I think I'll call her Goldie.
Small projects, shawl and pumpkiny stuff
53 minutes ago