Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving plus Christmas Trees

We had a wonderful Thanks-
giving and followed it up the next day with the hunt for the perfect Christmas tree. This year we are five vehicles, eight Forest Service permits and 14 people, including four small children. Our tradition is now in it's 7th year.

Ian has our tree, and while I know he's disap-
pointed that I picked a smaller tree, I think it will be nice not to have it dominate our house for the whole month of December. It's in the garage, dripping - coming inside house tomorrow.

SIL Paul, DS Josh and grandson Logan were going down to saw another tree. I begged for a pose and this is what I got. Goof balls. Ian and I have had the surprise and joy of seeing our adult children become really good friends. These two boys are just silly, or in the words of one grandson, "thilly."
DD Marji and DIL Missy are hauling up one of two trees that will be going back to Redding. Paul and Margi cut an extra tree for his parents. We have the permit, of course, and while no one is checking, we think it's important to buy a permit for every tree - support your local sheriff.
Because I'm the photo-
grapher I'm never in pictures, I asked Ian to shoot me. Why is my right hand in my pocket? Because I don't know where that glove is - I shoot pictures with my right hand. Also, notice that my coat is open from the bottom. That's because I hide our Nikon DSLR camera inside my coat. I'm oh-so-wet.
We are all so wet and we are so cold and we are having so much fun. One of the things that Ian and I give thanks for is that our combined families are now genuine family. Christmas present? This is it. DIL Missy is with "cousins" Elise and Evan. Our grandkids know each other as cousins and that makes my heart soar.


This is our group. Thanks to our neighbor Liz, I get to be in the group shot - at least my yellow coat does. She took a great shot and I'm glad because we had a great time. We went down to Chilcoot and had a meal at the only eatery - and that was great fun too. Great~

12 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, snow! I am jealous!

Life Looms Large said...

You guys even make snow look fun!!! Sounds like a great day and a great tradition!!

Sue

Theresa said...

What grand fun! We had snow yesterday too, although not as much as there! Great pictures.

Valerie said...

Looks like fun! We had a tradition of cutting our own tree, until the live tree in the house kept making me sick.

Down the road from the place where we cut the tree was an old Methodist church which offered cocoa and cookies in the church basement...complete with old stone walls and the true "basement" feel. And of course a couple of tables set up with Christmas bazaar items: acrylic yarn ornaments on plastic needlepoint canvas, etc.

Fond memories....

vlb5757 said...

What a family memory to last for years and years. We had an outing like that when I was a new bride many, many years ago with my husband's grandparents. They are now both deceased but the memory is still alive. Picking out a tree and cutting it down was so much fun for this city girl. You have a wonderful family.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

We didn't get to do our family Christmas tree hunt this year, I was (am am still) really bummed about it. I miss them and the trip out to get the trees. I think Jari and Kevin and I will go find one our selves this weekend; DH has to work...

Leigh said...

Looks like you're also having a wonderful snow! That gives tree hunting a real Christmas feel to it. Our sunny 60's just don't do the trick.

I see you started your Etsy shop again. For Christams?

beadlizard said...

Another blog post of yours that would make an excellent children's book. What a beautiful day!

bspinner said...

Looks like everyone's having a great time. Snow can hold off until the holidays for me.

Barbara C. said...

Booo....no snow in Reno Town....can hardly wait, though I'll be complaining about it soon enough when driving to work.
Great fun you had!!!

Charlotte said...

This looks like a great tradition and so much fun in the snow! You have masses of snow! In the UK we haven't had a white Christmas since about 1982 so I'm very jealous ;)

Jodi said...

Oh, that looks like great fun! I hope you post pictures of your tree decorated and in the house, too.

Also, the soap arrived over the Thanksgiving holiday, and it's lovely. Thank you! You didn't need to send it priority, though, although I'm certainly happy to have it so quickly.