Friday, January 30, 2009

spinning and spinning to be

These two skeins represent my attempt to spin dyed roving into color runs, bottom skein, and to delib-
erately mix to the colors to eliminate color runs, top skein. As you can see, there is no appreciable difference, which means I don't know that the heck I'm talking about. I've decided that to really scramble the colors, I'd have to break the skein into short color segments and alternate them, as though I were spinning from dyed locks. That doesn't seem fun and I'd rather scramble colors when I'm dyeing them.
What you're looking at here is five bags full of processed roving. This has been donated to our guild to help us raise the balance in our treasury. I haven't been through the bags yet, as the natural light was waning when I got home with them. I did a bit of peeking and can see that I'm going to be spending quite a bit of money in support of our guild.

I promise to report on what I've read about getting even selvedges, but now I'm going to watch the classic, Better Off Dead.

7 comments:

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Let me know when they are going to sell those Sharon, I need to replensish my stash :)

Jodi said...

Better Off Dead is fabulous! Oh, the 80s...

Jody said...

Your spinning is so even and beautiful.

vlb5757 said...

My goodness you have a lot of work cut out for you. What a wonderful generous act to donate all that fiber! I can't wait to see what you do with it. Please show us everything!!

Marie said...

The skein colors are soft and relaxing. It seems that you do know what you're doing since the two skeins look like each other. I've tried that and each skein looks like it had different parents. Does that make any sense? Nicely done!

beadlizard said...

How did you go about dividing the color for the spinning? Want to email about it? --syl

Tina T-P said...

Oh look at all that beautiful fiber. good thing it's thousand miles away... T.