I was so close at the end of my warp - the blue strip represents how much I needed to weave and in the background at the heddles you can see the knots where I tied onto the previously existing warp.
By the time I had done the hemstitching on the last placemat, that's all the forgiveness I had - maybe 8" or so. I'll add another yard to the warp next time. I would prefer more loom waste. This was too close for comfort.
I washed the placemats last night in a continuous group and also dried them. The lint was prodigious. I had to empty the filter half way and still there was more lint. While they were still partially damp, I cut them into sets and laid them out to finish drying.
LouAnn at Loomy Tunes told me to tie the warp ends in overhand knots before washing. I forgot and this is why she warned me.
I threw the two placemats in the wash that we use all the time - I thought I should know what the fringe will look like so I can tell potential buyers. They washed up great!
These are the finished sets and I am thrilled. The hem-
stitching and separating with a rotary cutter took away so much of the work. The set on the left is the "go loud or go home" change-up I made after Theresa's comment.
This is how I will have them on the table at the craft fair. There's no space to display them flat and this at least shows their color range. I was surprised to find that I liked the peach-colored set after all.
I'm no longer bothered by the traveling warp showing up as uneven threads. I think it demonstrates the personal part of me invested in the work - not hecho in china.
Illustration Friday "Safety"
7 hours ago