Friday, March 12, 2010

Terribly Disappointed

My morning spinning for the last couple of weeks is summed up in these two bobbins. The right one is merino blended with snipped sari silk thrums. The thrums were equal blue and fuchsia but they appear very blue here. The left is plain Tussah silk.

I weighed 1.7 ounces for the merino blend, so guessed that 1.5 of the silk, since it weighs more, would be close to equal. It was pretty close.

The goal of this yarn was to dye it pink and then knit a pink scarf for a breast cancer survivor by October. Starting now that gives me six months to knit, but I'm concerned this morning that the ply is so blue.
I put the skein in a pink dye bath, but the blue sari silk wasn't even close to exhausted and it over-
whelmed the cyclamen pink. I honestly don't know what to do now. I still want to gift someone in October with a pink scarf - that was the whole point here. I guess I start over. I have six months still. I did get some yarn dyed for more vegetables, so the dye day wasn't a total bust, but close.

7 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, I am so sorry! What a frustrating experience.

Could you try using a dye stripper to remove the excess blue? Rather than start all over again, and have a bad-feelings skein bringing bad vibes into your stash, maybe you can lift some of the unwanted colour from this. And if too much colour goes, you can always re-dye. Your spinning, on the other hand, looks glorious. :)

Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

On the other hand, I would be happy to take the pretty purple skein off your hands.

beadlizard said...

Your handspun orchid skein is beautiful -- maybe someone has some pink to swap? [Doing a mental scan of my stash and I don't.]

Leigh said...

I'm sorry about the pink but WOW is that purple every scrumptious! YUM!

Beryl Moody said...

And maybe the scarf doesn't have to be pink. I realize the symbolism here, but maybe this is a happy accident.

Benita said...

But what a lovely purple!!! It's beautiful!

Laura said...

How many yds do you need? I have some un-dyed merino, bamboo, tussah that I have spun, very fine two-ply. I could spin another and we could trade...