Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Hint of Spring

Ian and I babysat Alexia last night so DD Chris could celebrate her birthday with two other friends. She said it was a fun party but the others had babies to get home to, so she and DH went to a late movie. We were happy they could. Lexie Lu and I took a walk after breakfast. She loves Papa's trail.
When she started to clamor down this bank, I said - "Alexia, this is not a good time to go exploring." She called back - "Don't worry Gramma. I have six years of experience. " "You're only five." "Oh!"

This is the "stepping on my shadow" game. Charlie had been very contrary to her this morning and took a swipe at her twice. When I commented on what a beautiful morning it was, she said, yes - but Charlie scratched me on two of my legs. ??
Christina loves it that when Alexia rides her bicycle, she self-talks - be careful not to fall, be careful not to fall. Alexia wanted to collect chert chips today, hoping to find an arrowhead - it actually could happen. I could hear her saying to herself - be careful not to slip, be careful not to slip. I think there's a lesson there.
I could hear her singing, while carefully working her way back down the bank - "hush little baby, don't you cry," but I couldn't make out the rest. "Momma's going to buy you a wrist band-aid" she told me because she had banged her hand.

The worst part about living so far out is that we don't get to babysit more often. I love it. Every single time - even watching her Scooby-Doo movie this morning. It's that latest one and the worst one. I thought it would never end and was glad and sad then it finally did. It's a 35 minute drive to take her home and she talked all of it.

Ian and I are headed for Sacramento in the morning. I have an order of soap oils to pick up and then we're headed up the foothills to Nevada City. We're spending the night there and the next day I get to finally attend the Foothill Fiber Guild weave study group. Snow is forecasted and I had an earlier email that the meeting might be canceled. We're going anyway. Ian wants to shop at Peaceful Valley Farm Supply and if the meeting is canceled, then we'll track over the Sierras early. Eleanor, our trusty Forrester, will get us home - she always does.

7 comments:

Valerie said...

what a beautiful, sunny day! Sounds like Lexie is good company. These are the days she will remember forever. Enjoy your journey!

Jody said...

I can't wait to become a gramma someday :)

Robin said...

Too cute! I love what pops out of their mouths. My youngest used to say "I want to do it my by self." He was so funny!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I am looking forward so much to Joy reaching an age where we can spend that kind of quality time!

Benita said...

What a lovely child. She sounds like a joy to be around.

beadlizard said...

Oh, I love the running commentary!

Peaceful Valley is the best. I was pulling weeds this morning and wishing for one of their nice sharp hoes...

Leigh said...

What a joy. Sounds as though she keeps Ian and you on your toes!