Thursday, April 22, 2010

High Drama Sorta

I arrived early to grand-
daughter Alexia's classroom so caught the tail end of the creative ballet session. She is so fortunate. Her parents pay through the nose to have her here - worth it.

Here's the application for my knitted produce. And it's also the last photo from my camera, which announced heart failure, i.e, dead battery. I came to Alexia's kindergarten to show the class how a sheep's fleece becomes yarn, becomes a garment. Without pictures, I can tell you that I read a couple of picture books, pulled things from my bags, let boys play with my wheel and drummed up a whole lot of enthusiasm.
I took chunks of fleece from these, our three wethers. I also took my carders and let the kids have at it. They were the best pickers ever. I showed them a picture of our little sheep and what their coats look like.

The reaper cometh - three bags full. Added to the many other bags full.

5 comments:

LA said...

What a fun day! Kindergarten kids are the best!!! They have such honest questions and love to DO things. My favorite book to use with kids is "Charlie Needs a Cloak." It shows the whole process.

Valerie said...

Sounds like a really fun day for all of you! What a great teacher to invite you. I'm sure you've planted the seeds of future fiber artists yesterday.

Theresa said...

How fun! Glad you had a good time and the kids sound like they were all engaged.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I seem to remember that I fell in love with one of those fleeces... wouldn't want to rethink giving that one up would you :)
It is so much fun explaining sheep and spinning to kids (well its fun explaining it to adults too lol)

Robin said...

I used to love to do demonstrations. The kids are so fascinated by the wheel and it's great to show them that you can actually make something with your own hands instead of just going and buying it.