Friday, April 01, 2011

April!

I took the dogs for a walk this morning. My doc says I should break back into walking with two ten-minute walks a day. That's almost like being on a treadmill. I opted for one 20 minute serious saunter.
I was rewarded on my return with this beautiful display - the first and only wild flower of the year so far. We've never seen this one in our nine years here and with the wet season we're just had, we're expecting quite a display this year. If you're new to my blog, wildflowers are miraculous color that arises in the hard scrabble around us. I'm excited to see what comes next.

This is the last image of Baby Boy Baesa's blanket. Someone's silly step-
godmother forgot to buy a card, paper and pick up a mailer when in town on Wednesday. I made the hour round-trip today, punishment for a leaky memory. I love this blanket, with it's Laker Gold (Mommy's favorite team) and the Wolfpak blue - maybe not my favorite team but I AM loyal.
I came to this police check point on the drive in. All kinds of guilty thoughts ran through my head. I haven't been drinking occifer, but really I didn't even have a drink last night and slept terrible for it, thank you very much. When I rolled up to the officer, I said, so what are we doing today? He said, we're making sure everyone has proper documentation. My first thought was Arizona and what the heck? I'm a citizen!!! He wanted to know if I had registration and insurance. Can you imagine what it's like to be brown and live in Arizona!??

Because I hadn't really gone anywhere and wasn't in a hurry to get back to anywhere, I pulled off at the shoe tree on my way home. I realized several months ago that it's' filling up and it's been a while since I've posted a picture from it.
Both my Reno grandkids are fascinated by this pheno-
menon. Neither of them can imagine putting their shoes on this tree, no matter that they're too small and they can no longer wear them. They are appalled at my suggestion they should contribute.

I know I showed our firewood supply earlier this year. This is what we have left until May. It's a little nervousing. The weather is supposed to change tonight and so Ian has set a fire in woodstove in anticipation. Two months - that's all we need to get out of this wood. June should be good, even if it wasn't last year.
I'm trying to squeeze out those moments of sunshine while also taking 2,000 mg of vitamin D3. I read about SAD years ago in the National Geographic magazine about polar explorers. I remember the subjects being rather pathetic. I guess you don't need to live in a polar region to experience SAD - this is my SAD chamber for now.

7 comments:

Hilary said...

I showed my 7 year old granddaughter the shoe tree....she said, "that's weird".
I loved it.

Theresa said...

I think the shoe tree is weird too! But what an interesting check point. You sure AZ hasn't changed THEIR borders???
Enjoy the sun, lots of crud coming your way. I cry foul, I want spring back.

Anonymous said...

odd weather everywhere - we are having so much rain and there was barely any two years ago. Is there a story behind the beginning of the shoe tree?

LA said...

So...does that make it a "Pair" tree??? LOL That is something that you would stop the car for and take a second look! As for Spring...I am ready for some warm weather!

Theresa said...

I feel obligated to mention your post is responsible for a 24 earworm so far. April, Come She Will....
Vintage Simon and Garfunkel. Actually, a pretty good earworm all in all! :)

Two Guys and a Loom said...

I love the shoe tree!!!! What a cool thing to see when you're out driving. Had no idea that you burned wood until May! Here I am complaining that we may have another two weeks of hauling firewood. Forgive me firewood gods!

Life Looms Large said...

Wonderful to see photos of blue skies.....we have had much grey this month. The forecasters say that's a sign of warm air trying to break into New England. I hope so!!! (And I hope it gets here soon!)

Love the colors of your blanket!

The shoe tree is cool!!!

I need to go catch up on why you're breaking back into walking. I know when I recovered from my foot injury, I had to take 10 minute walks. When I resumed running, I ran for 2 minutes....no lie! Good luck with it!!!

Sue