Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Spindle Camp and Done

The early birds welcomed sunset and so those who were feeling the spirit, or spirits as it were, came down to our cabin to visit, and we did this three nights in a row until 11:30. Grrls camp! Note the Pringle can on the table to the right of Kate. It has my Greensleeves Fox spindle in it. I take it in its can/case to guild meetings.
And while we were sitting there, Jan showed me how to slide my cop (the spun single) off of the spindle shaft onto a drinking straw. She had an extra special step. She has cut circles from drink lids, cut small crosses in the centers, and then slides one of the disks onto each end of the cop to keep it in place until it's time to ply the single. Snazzy!

I was on the Golding website this morning. A couple of you commented on how much you love your Golding spindles. I've sold some soap and so have a PayPal balance, but I have no idea what to order- there are lots of weights and whorls. I'm visually attracted to a 3" whorl but perhaps it's because that's what my KCL spindles are. I see that Goldings can get heavy pretty quickly, and I favor a lighter spindle. Feedback from Golding aficionados - please!!
I packed up my car and went down to say goodbye. All the Easy-Ups and screened food tents break down into such small containers. It's hard to believe we were a city just the night before. It was a privilege and honor to spend three days with such talented, intelligent, artistic, energetic, interested and motivated women who support and love one another. They make the world a better place.

Ian does all the car stuff when we camp and packed for me before I left. I think I did a pretty good job getting it all in - sleeping bag, food, clothes, wheel, chair. Check. Room for two, not so much.

I said goodbye to Birdsong who told me about a flea market and plant sale just before I the Hwy 49 junction. I really needed to just drive and get home, but I couldn't resist the sale.
Ian planted our tomatoes in walls-of-water last Friday. I bought just one more. I am really excited about this heirloom tomato - it's a green zebra and the growing season is only 75 days long - we have a 90-day growing season. They recommended we grow this in a pot so we can move it in case of frost. These plants are for sale by nouveau-hippies who are seed savers and selling starts from their own seeds - I got some basil too. I thought is was the perfect finish to a perfect weekend. Jan, my co-planner in this foolishness, emailed me the next day to say that it was raining and it's raining here right now. The fiber gods were smiling on us. We were blessed, pronounced bless. ed.

10 comments:

Benita said...

Your retreat is in such a lovely location. I think just being surrounded by trees would be relaxing enough.

It sounds like you had one fun and relaxing time.

Laura said...

You so do not have a 90 day growing season! I had a 48 day growing season at my house out there!! I would recommend that you put hoops of pvc over your bed, and cover it with plastic - you can extend the growing season very well, that way.

You did a marvelous job packing the car - you can still see out the rear-view mirror!

I'm looking forward to seeing you!!

Michelle said...

Two words: Jenkins Turkish. ;-)

Nina said...

Such a pretty area for what looks like it was a fantastic gathering! What fun you must have had!

danielle said...

I cant wait to see how your zebra does. Tried one last year without any luck.

Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

I'll bring my Golding Saturday so you can try out it's weight.

Cindie said...

I have a 2 3/4" and a 3" golding spindle and love them both. I can spin pretty thin on the 2 3/4" one, it's really not that heavy. I have a huge spindle collection and these are my favorites - all my others are great too because I won't buy a spindle just because it's pretty, it's got to be perfectly balanced and spin well (and yes, I love my Jenkins Turkish as well)

woolydaisy said...

it was so good to see you again! what time were you at the plant sale? i was there! i live right across the street! glad you got some stuff.

Kathy said...

You better watch it - I may just have to join your guild and commute! It sounds like a really neat group!

Birdsong said...

Thanks for such a thorough accounting of Spindle Camp!