Thursday, June 04, 2020

Three Months


The two days I watch Delaney, that's what I do.  I wonder how I ever managed to raise three children and work but this is now.  I didn't have stairs or a cat with claws then.  Sometimes I can slip in some knitting and I've finished this Sunshine Coast cotton sweater.

I like it so much that I went back and bought more yarn to do it again.  This is Willet by Quince, the softest cotton I've ever knitted.  I'll go down a size in this sweater.


The garden is just on the edge of bursting into bloom.  It's been such a pleasant outlet during these past months.  Next week will mark three months of voluntary quarantine for me.  This morning the top news item on my phone was that a second wave of the virus has hit a half dozen countries.  It was hard to get past that and it took the better part of the day to shake it off.

And just yesterday I had a Zoom book group meeting that lasted a couple of hours.  It took that long to share our feelings about Richard Powers latest book, The Overstory.  I enjoy our group so much and then one news article knocked the wind out of my sails.  I can't hide from the news but I need to be more careful about how I react to it. 

We were driving from Sacramento to Reno when my daughter was a toddler.  It's a long windy route and some of the segments seem alike.  She awoke from a nap and wanted to know - are we still here?  That's how I feel right now.  I've sheltered in place and I'm still sheltering in place.

I don't always feel like taking morning walks but I know they do me a world of good.  They're healthy for my bones and heart, and they're healthy for my spirit.  I mean who can watch a mother duck and her ducklings without a smile.

Delaney had a rough patch today.  She is always so sunny so it's noticeable when she's not on top of her game.  My cure when she just is out sorts is to play Teletubbies on my MacBook.  She watched them for an hour today, which is almost twice as long as she's ever watched in the past.  The shows are brain numbing for an adult but she has seen the episodes over a dozen times and I realize that she is engaging with them.


  1. I'll leave this with you to ponder.










3 comments:

weavinfool said...

I lisped as a child. I had speech therapy for it. If I say the word lisp outloud I can easily start lisping again.

danielle said...

How did the cataract surgeries go?

Sharon said...

The cataract surgery went swimmingly. Both my husband and I had our eyes done in May and have weeks to go of putting drops in our eyes, but the world is a much brighter place and I have 20/30 vision in both eyes, the best I have ever had. I keep a pair of readers on top of my head because my close-up is worse than ever. I’m fine with that. I would recommend it if you’re ever a candidate.