Saturday, October 24, 2020

Another season

I finished the Summer and Winter dish towels and think I should have taken Sarah Jackson's advice and made a simple sampler.  The towel on the left is the last one of five and I used one shuttle and the same weft for the tabby.  It's pretty muted.  The weft in both of these isn't in the warp.  It's interesting but I preferred the wefts from the warp palette.

The instructions in Handwoven called for the order of the wefts. I really like the way summer and winter looks but I'm not in love with two shuttles.  I say that, yet I didn't mind two shuttles in shadow weave.  I'm working on commissioned placemats right now and after that I'm going to make a turned taquete sampler.  I like all the color with just one shuttle - it's much more fun to weave.
Here they are and if I do it again I will pay close attention to values.  I don't want another overpowering color like the purple again.
The program at our guild meeting last Wednesday was given by our spinnners study group on heritage breed sheep.  I've wondered what happened to my passion for spinning but it went away and I don't know why.  I even had stored my wheel in it's bag.  After they concluded their presentation I realized that I know exactly when it stopped - when I was no longer involved with the sheep.  I took this picture about 90 minutes after the meeting.  I got my wheel back up, dug out my Forsythe mini-combs and found some locks that I had washed and slightly felted, rolled up my sleeves and went to work.  I've washed more locks today and am waiting for them to dry.

I'm working on a sweater for Delaney and tried it on her to check the size.  Lookin' good.
And speaking of Delaney, her parents just bought her a Kindle Fire for kids.  Now that we have her more often it makes a lot of time to fill, especially since we're not TV people.  She took to it right away and really likes Sesame Street.  I have no idea why she needed both feet on the table but apparently that makes it work better.
The irrigation canal was turned off the first of the month but there are residual pools that attract water fowl.  I still like to take my morning walks along here but will probably be looking for a new route when the canal turns into an ugly gash in the earth.  The Covid infections have increased and we still have no snow.  That's about it in a nut shell.





 

No comments: