Thursday, January 28, 2021

More Staycation

This is the 30-year-old stove that was in the house we bought five years ago.  Before then I didn't know that some stoves in open floor plans have to vent down under the house.  They also cost a whole lot more than updraft stoves with range hoods.  The control panel part of the oven died last year and while the oven was probably still working just fine, we couldn't control it.  We decided to order a replacement last August.  Due to supply line interruptions production has been at a snail's pace and our replacement didn't come until last Thursday,

This is the brand we were replacing.  Ever hear of it?  Us neither.  Apparently Whirlpool bought them out.  There are no replacement parts.  Our installers had visited the house a couple of months ago to scope out the job and called a couple of weeks ago, wondering if we had gone with another crew.  Nope.  No stove, still waiting.  

When Ian called them last week to set up an installation date, Damian put us at the top of his list, said we had waited altogether too long.  He and Zach are the crew and worked three hours yesterday getting as much of the installation completed as possible.  The unpleasant reality is that the old stove was a 30 amp without a ground wire, the new one is a 40 amp and we were going to need an electrician in order to finish the job.  

Ian found a journeyman electrician on the Next Door app and darned if he didn't show up this morning and rolled up sleeves.  He said he has an overload of work, like all of construction in Bend, but he felt bad that we were left hanging.  That's a phone number we'll hold onto.  Damian will too; he was excited to have a reliable electrician to call on. 
Our installers put the stove box back in the hole because we told them we had a baby coming in the morning.  Delaney was absolutely fascinated by this new thing.  They left the door off to make it easier for the electrician.
This is the new stove.  It's unlike anything I've cooked on before.  The burners are instantly hot, just like gas.  Ian and I falling over each other planning meals and baking.  It even has a steam rack for bread.  With the installation expenses, it was a hefty price tag but I know it will be worth every penny.  I think it's part of Covid thinking - since I'm stuck at home, why not make home a little better.
I am still trying to weave summer and winter without having loops on the backside.  I know now that they're from not advancing the warp as often as I should.  There was one more cobalt towel which I kept for myself.
I had a couple cones of pale yellow so I decided to weave that same draft but with three colors instead of two.  The yellow saddened everything.  I should have known.
So I decided to stick to yellow companion colors, bright yellow and lime green.  Same thing.  I have more warp so guess I'll see how the light yellow can butcher orange.

I'm trying to keep pace with the Aran knit-along and have now divided for the sleeves.  The instructions for saddle shoulders were a week ago so I am falling behind.  Ian told me that if I were to knit him an Aran sweater that he would wear it.  I love these crazy cables and am happy to have another sweater in the wings.  I told him it won't be ready until next winter.







 

6 comments:

Milasha said...

Beautiful women surround us everywhere we go. As a saying goes, there are no ugly women, the question is if men are lucky meet them in a proper place at proper time. So you better meet them on dating sites. Many beauties in one place, and you can talk to as many as you want. dating advice

Michelle said...

Glad to see you busy with weaving, knitting, cooking – and dating advice! Ha!

Portia's Cloth said...

Enjoy your new stove. About a week before Christmas, I invited a friend to lunch on Christmas day, turned the oven on and mixed up the first batch of Christmas baking, and when I opened the door the oven had died. It was quite old and not very good so I too have a new one. It's a bit of a challenge working out what is the right temperature for the things I;m used to cooking, but after just one week, not as long a wait as you had, I'm really enjoying it

Valerie said...

Enjoy your new stove! It may heat up almost as fast as gas, but it doesn't cool down as quickly. My son has a gas stove....he always boils things over when they stay at our cabin ;^\

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new Stove! We have a glass cooktop and really like it.
Your yellow towel is beautiful. You are just not used to seeing colors with low value contrast.
Stephanie S.

Hilary said...

What kind of stove is it???