Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Back to Books

 


I've decided to change the focus of my posts to book reviews only.  All is well in the Campbell household but I was boring myself and suspect you were just as bored.  So books, here we go!

Metropolis by B.A. Shapiro

It’s been a while since I’ve picked up a book that I literally could not put down. I think the way the story unfolds around six individuals and placed in six-story 100-year-old storage unit would make a great play. A near fatal incident in one of the elevators begs the question - who is at fault and is it an accidental or planned. I couldn’t read fast enough!!

True Biz by Sara Novic

This book is centered around a school for the deaf in Ohio, and even if you know someone who is hearing impaired, I promise you that you’ll see those lives in a different way. The challenge for me was to keep track of the multiple storylines: the head mistress who signs and her wife who does not, a teen whose mother forces her to wear an implant but refuses to learn to sign, the deaf teen whose family has a thread of genetic deafness and what happens when a baby is born hearing.

I came away with some unanswered question. What would it mean if a patrolman shouts at a deaf teen to stop, but they keep running? Of if they do need help but have no way to call the police. Of if a child in Child Protective Services declines to have a cochlear implant installed and the authorities overrule them. I think the movie CODA has given us all a lot to think about. The bottom line is - how can we effectively communicate.

I thank NetGalley, a book clearing house of sorts, for providing both of these books to me as advanced reader copies, so appreciated.  Two thumbs up to both!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I'll take whatever you dish out! I've been using Libby to listen to books since November so will be looking to you for recommendations. What I've read so far has run a gamut, and I'm loving it!

Hilary said...

I love book reviews and recommendations!!