Thursday, December 23, 2010

Change Up

I finished the baby hat today and I'm not going to show a picture of it. I showed the pattern here, and it the most disappointed I've ever been with a knitted gift. I was so excited by the picture that I didn't stop to read the pattern. I struggled with the project from the start because I didn't realize that she had written it to be knitted flat. It never occurred to me that someone would write a hat pattern to be knitted flat. I need to finish weaving the baby blanket to exonerate myself, since both are for the same baby. We leave on Wednesday. I know what I'm going to be doing right after Christmas.
We have an open house on Christmas Eve. Now that DS Josh and family live in Oregon, it's more neighbors and less family, always fun. With the sectional sofa, it's been an awkward arrangement for a crowd. I asked Ian a month ago to consider dividing up the sectional to open up the space.
So here we were, a day before guests, trying to rearrange furniture. Ian is not a fan of rearranging furniture, which is why it has never moved in eight years and which is why I brought it up a month ago. It's not perfect, but I am thrilled at how accessible the seating is with this new arrangement.
Breaking up the sectional gives people room to wander and that has been a problem in the past - if you've been here, you'll know what I mean. The change was a challenge for Ian to accept and I was prepared for it to be a one-day rearrangement. We were sweeping and mopping when he said - Okay. It was a good idea. I love it and can't wait to fill our house tomorrow night. Merry Christmas to you all.

12 comments:

Theresa said...

And Merry & Happy to you! Have a great open house!
Gene also hates furniture movement and I am one to constantly be moving and tweeking stuff. Drives him nuts. Could it be a guy thing?
I'm so sorry about the hat. I know the baby blanket will be just great though. How did that jackalope come out?

Hilary said...

I like the arrangement....looks very nice.
And omg, your husband sounds like mine.........what? change?
He is totally resistent to changing even the smallest thing. It's crazy.

Anonymous said...

And a Very Merry Christmas to you and yours! I love rearranging - men just don't. oh well! Have a great Xmas Eve party.

Benita said...

Merry Christmas!!!

Rearranging the house is a hobby with Scott and me. I don;t think a room has stayed the same for more than a year at a time, and we have been known to move whole rooms into a different room and play room swap. In fact, we have three rooms we'd like to rearrange right now, and one of them is getting done this weekend. It's a sickness, I know.

Have fun with your party!

vlb5757 said...

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Rearranging furniture is not my thing but I have to say, we are probably are over due for some scrambin' up of the furniture. I am sure my husband will thank you for the idea! lol! Have a wonderful Open House. I am sure it will be a great success.

re'New said...

I personally like a good re arrange, but I think my son has me beat. Last night he was here and was "cleaning"... his term for moving everything around. His bedroom never had pictures on the walls that actually looked in the right place. I would hang, he would move the furniture!

Nina said...

Happy Christmas to you! Your home is beautiful. I love the new furniture arrangement. The baby blanket will fly and be done in time. How did the Jackalope turn out? Have fun tonight!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Merry Christmas Sharon!

Jodi said...

Have a happy Christmas! I love the new furniture arrangement -- what a pretty fireplace.

Leigh said...

I love your living room! So friendly and welcoming. Merry Christmas to you all.

bspinner said...

You mean Ian doesn't like moving furniture?? Does any man??? I've wanted to rearrange my living room for over a year and have gotten Bill to move on it.

I was surprised to when the last hat pattern I bought was knit flat. At least it was easy to redo the instructions for circular needles.

I Hope you and you family had a wonderful Christmas!!

Life Looms Large said...

Hope you had a great Christmas and a wonderful party. It is true that the seating makes some parties flow much better than others, so I hope your re-arranging worked out.

I'm pretty shocked that the hat is knit flat....is it that colorwork one you showed a picture of earlier (the pattern)? That seems crazy?

Good luck getting your Christmas presents finished! I'm done with mine for this year, but some of my cards will be New Year's cards this year (again). Luckily, the folks on my card list are forgiving and will even accept valentines if push comes to shove!

Good to "see" you!! Hopefully I have a little more blogging mojo again!
Sue