Wednesday, October 24, 2007

And Still More Soap

The Nevada Day holiday is actually Halloween but the legislature got into the picture and decided that it should fall on a Friday so people could have a three-day weekend, which is swell if you work Monday-Friday. This being a 24/7 state, it's good work if you can get it. So today is my holiday and I'm making use of it by knocking out some more soap.

This soap was actually made on Saturday and I'm just now getting around to cutting it, which is a bit of a mistake since it's gotten quite firm. I had to stand on a chair to push the cutter through the block. I also didn't realize that I needed a fresh battery.
After the large block is reduced to three small blocks, it's time to turn them into bars with the handy cutter that I bought on the Internet that slices with a strip of piano wire. I also bought another handy cutter that's supposed to shave the corners so the bars are more friendly to use, but the cutter wasn't so handy. Sharp edged soap is awkward, so to fix them, I use the potato peeler that's in the first picture, a wedding present from my first wedding in 1968.

This finished tray of bars needs to cure for four weeks. I'd like to get an Etsy Store up by the end of November so I can sell my soap online, but with all the angst this past summer, I didn't get a stockpile of soap made to support that goal. Now I'm racing the clock. This is my Bar None, as in, it's the best soap, bar none. The flecks of lavender are from my neighbor but Amy have me a ton of her's, which is now guarding my wool from moths, but will become soap soon.
The mold is lined with waxed butcher paper and ready for the next batch. The pictures come out so much better with a fresh battery. No excuses, it's time to make soap. Besides, I need to take a break from listening to CNN and the SoCal fire news.

I'm tagging blogs as I go now as Leigh suggested I do, but I'm only a quarter way through tagging the old posts so I can index my blog. What a job.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Looks like a lot of work! I can't wait for your Etsy store. :-)

Leigh said...

One of these days I'm going to make some soap again. I used to do it an absolute eon ago but it sort of fell by the wayside. When you get your index up and running, the first tag I'll look at is "soap"!

Birdsong said...

It's great that you are planning to open an Etsy soap store! Good luck on carving out more time for soapmaking and becoming a businesswoman.