Saturday, December 23, 2017

Last post of 2017


My hair felt like a mop so I went back and had Christina cut off another 4” and also thin it out.

She blow dried and styled it, something I won’t be doing and it resulted in Hilary hair!

This is what it looks like IRL (in real life).  I’m still experimenting with gels, mousse and nothing.  Curly hair is still a new experience for me. I keep wondering if it turned itself curly, will it turn itself uncurly?

I’m still struggling with the Summer and Winter draft, it’s very slow going.  It’s Sarah Jackson’s pattern which I bought in a Handwoven collection.  Since it’s such a popular pattern I figured it would be a no-brainer but it’s been a very steep learning curve for me.

I started to get a better handle on it when I put each treadling pattern on a sticky note, but still it’s a two-shuttle weave and just managing them instead of juggling and dropping them has been a battle.  And to throw them from the side they exited from last instead of crossing over the top leaving a huge trailing loop. Unweave!

There are five towels on this warp and the first one is a mess though it’s not as bad as the Crackle towels I tried to weave and didn’t even bother to hem.  No wonder I couldn’t weave Crackle.  It has three shuttles and I’m barely managing to control these two!  I’ll hem the first one and use it myself.  This is the third towel and has one color used throughout, either as tabby or pattern.  It’s finally getting interesting.

I no longer have to count out loud but I think if I had used very different colors, I would have been able to keep track a whole lot easier.  I’m going to try it again, just to get a better handle on this draft though it’s too time intensive to weave for sale.

Meeting weekly with the Knitterbugs, a group of ladies who knit, has encouraged me to knit again.  This “Where’s Waldo” sweater is from a blog give-away that Teresa Davies did a number of years ago.  There’s more red yarn then white so I’m knitting the body and sleeves at the same time until I run out of white, and then the rest will be red.  It’s a rather fun project, another Heidi Kerrmier pattern.

This is my latest print, a linocut of a beached tuna boat, the Edith.  I put her back out to sea, gave her a little dignity by turning back the clock.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Valerie said...

Merry Christmas, Sharon. You're new haircut looks great!
Hope the New Year brings good health and happiness.