I took a Crackle Weave class three years ago from Susan Wilson and I also bought her book. I used a direct tie-up loom in the workshop which functions like a table loom, which added a dimension of difficulty to the class. Instead of tackling it again on my floor loom when I got home I let the trail go cold. I tried it again last year using an article from Handwoven but had the same problems, mostly loops on the backside. I’ve been branching out and trying things with a greater degree of difficulty so decided to try it again.
One of things that gives Crackle all the colors is the use of three shuttles. I just couldn’t get any kind of rhythm going to finally decided to just weave with one shuttle and thought things were going swimmingly until I checked the back. More loops! Not as many as with three shuttles but still unacceptable. I cut the warp off and retensioned it.
I wove along happily, trusting the fixing the tension had fixed the problem. It hadn’t.
This is the back side and I’m not interested in hand sewing all those loops.
I gave it to Maddie and she was quite pleased with it. That’s about all it’s good for. I wasted two days and didn’t even get one single towel. I know when it’s time to quit.
Today is my volunteer shift at the art gallery so in the back of my mind I kept wondering what I could do with the remaining warp. I mean I really like the colors together. This idea came to me when I was driving home and I do think it’s attractive. I can see the results of threading errors but I think in this came they’ll come out in the wash.
Meanwhile I have started winding another warp in zinnia colors. I’m out of my favorite go-to colors and really need to make an order soon.