Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chosing Colors

The first baby blanket is done. I'm still in the dark as to this baby's gender so wove baby colors to be safe. Yesterday I learned the baby's name is Taryn and that still makes me feel uncertain of gender.
Hem stitching has been a mystery to me, but I couldn't image a baby sucking on braided fringe. I found instructions on hem stitching and used it for the first time. I can't do anything more here until my next yarn order arrives with blue for the second blanket. It's a lot fast to weave a blanket than to knit one, I can tell you that.
This afternoon I started to wind these yarns for my next set of dish towels. I do color by the seat of my pants and after I chose these, I immediately had second thoughts. I wound several bouts before dinner and when I looked at them hanging from the front beam, I thought. You know Sharon, you don't do so bad.

8 comments:

Annie said...

I love your baby banket, Sharon. No, fringes on such a blanket aren't my idea either. I usually zigzag the raw edges and crochet around the whole blanket. That also takes care of selfedges that might be less than perfect here and there.
Now I'm going back to my loom: to my teatowels!

Theresa said...

Great colors, unusual name and a beautiful blanket!
For the two blankets I've done, I zigzagged or serged edges and made a hem.

bspinner said...

I agree with Theresa, usual name and a beautiful blanket. Love the colors and pattern!!!

beadlizard said...

I knew a Taryn who was female.

The blanket is beautiful. Do you have Virginia West's Finishing Touches for the Handweaver?

Jenny Bellairs said...

You hemstitching turned out very nice and your blanket looks great. How wide is it?

Sharon said...

Let's see - I guess I should answer those questions here. I did use Virginia West's book, Sylvia. Bonita, the blanket was 33 inches in the reed, though it's clearly pulled in a couple inches. And also, my sister-in-law emailed me this morning. Randi is expecting a girl, so Syl, right again!

Leigh said...

I love the dishtowel colors. But then, you do have a knack for color. Lovely blanket. My guess that the baby is a girl, but I could be wrong!

Kathy said...

I love the colors, too. What size are the cotton yarns? I really need to take stock of what I've got and get it all together to see what I need to get up and running. Too many things have displaced weaving for a while - like winter and snow.
I always hemstitch starts and finishes between items so when they come off the loom they are basically done except if I want to do knots for rugs or turn it under and stitch for hems.