Monday, September 20, 2010

Knitting Vegetables

I was working with a very limited color palette. For you in urban areas, it probably is hard to understand, but from the time I started this project until now, I wasn't able to get back to my LYS for additional colors. When either Ian or I have an appointment in the town, we start a list by the phone of errands that need to be run. Add to that the two-hour drive time.
These gems are surpris-
ingly seductive. Make this one - ooh, now try this. I added the garlic and another carrot yesterday. Today I finished the garlic, made the pathetic potato out of my head because I couldn't find a pattern and made another ear of corn - needed more yellow in the palette. My yarns should all be worsted weight but aren't. I'm going to add more colors so I can knit some of the animals from Amigurumi Knits . The patterns and instruction are well written and while you have to spend some time on a couple new stitches, the pictures and narrative are more than adequate. I am a better knitter for having made that eggplant - serious.
I'm so glad I gave up on the original bag. I think this one is so much better for a two-year old. She's got all her veggies right here in her market bag. If I come across cute patterns, I can always add to the collection later. I'm telling you, it's hard to stop. It's a good thing I have a deadline or I'd probably still be knitting on these.


I like it that the bag stands on its own, without spilling the contents. It's all packed up, in the car and ready for the post office.

11 comments:

Theresa said...

I want a set too! Those are so darn cute. Heck, find a squash and pumpkin pattern and you can start doing seasonal bags, maybe add fruit! ;) I see room for growth! They are so wonderful.

LA said...

Your market bag of veggies is a masterpiece! Kudos to you! (and that is one lucky little girl!)

re'New said...

Cute cute! fun gift for a little girl....

Life Looms Large said...

Awesome job!!! You are such a quick, dedicated knitter!! Nothing like a deadline I guess!

Sue

PS: This bag is great!!

Anonymous said...

So cute! What a great gift and what fun knitting!

Judy said...

I love it!! Can I have one of the garlic, please? What a lucky little girl....

Annie said...

Sweet bag full!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

What a lucky little girl :)
Don't suppose you'd want to make another set.... Yeah, I know, I can knit now lol

Benita said...

Cool veggies! I don't know which I like best, the peas of the carrots. And, for what it's worth, it does look like a potato.

Leigh said...

Do you look at vegetables in a new light now? The bad and veggies is so cute. What little girl wouldn't love that! I need to remember it just in case the future brings a little girl my way.

Robin said...

Just love these veggies!!!