Monday, March 31, 2008

Finished Objects

I finished weaving my lap robe on Saturday and twisted fringe while watching NCAA basketball. It's actually pretty easy to twist fringe and watch TV at the same time. I washed and steamed it last night after I got home from work. The fringe is crazy long because Kiernan likes to fiddle with it while watching a movie. We're going to have the kids this weekend.



It took me nearly half a year to spin, dye and weave this, but then I have to stop and realize that my lap robes are starting to pile up like my unworn sweaters. The next thing I weave needs to have one shuttle. I read Laura Frey say that you get your selvedges when you get your rhythm. It's hard to get a rhythm with log cabin. I found some 8/2 cotton upstairs and have reading about Leigh's Ms and Os. I think I'll give that a try.

I followed Mike Avery's advice on feeding my sourdough starter, and as result, my bread is better than it has ever been. I told Mim that I like'd some of her Shetland in colors that I don't have when I have enough bread credits to do the fiber exchange. I love what Leigh is doing with all her colors of Shetland, but I don't want a sweater. I've started spinning Shetland for my next lap robe and would like to incorporate some of Mim's fleece. That's as far as the plan goes for now.

6 comments:

Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

Beautiful, as always! As for your blankets piling up, you are always welcome to store some at my house. ;-)

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Hey! I'll let you store the bread at my house!
Can't guarentee it will be there when you want it back though...

Leigh said...

Sharon, the lap robe is lovely! I think log cabin is one of my all time favorites. And the bread looks scrumptious. I bookmarked the links you gave a few posts ago, because I'd really like to see if I can't get a decent sour dough loaf.

Beryl Moody said...

The Lap Robe is wonderful! One can never have tooo many lap robes:-)

Birdsong said...

Your weaving always amazes me... these things simply 'slip out' one might say. The colors are very comforting.

cindy said...

Your lap robe is wonderful!!!! What colors did you use...............looks like brown and blue.