Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Bitten by the Lace Bug

Here's where we gathered in the mornings with our knitting and coffee. I got up earlier than I do on workdays because I didn't want to miss a single minute of it. Roommate Hermi and I agreed that we would never get up that early at home - doesn't sound at all retreat-like, does it.
So far my lace knitting has been on socks, I had a hard time finding a pattern for this yarn because it has no give. After swatching about three patterns, Gayle offered me this five stitch repeat.
Row 1: K2 tog, yo, K1, P 2
Row 2: Knit
Row 3: K1, yo, K2 tog, P 2
Row 4: Knit
It's a wonderful little sock pattern and she ended up writing it out for several of us.

Everyone around me those mornings was knitting real lace and chatting at the same time. The lace bug bite was subtle. I couldn't help but admire the three different results that were coming from the same pattern and different yarns. Sara says it will be the target of an Spin Off article next year. Dee was making her lace into a log cabin afghan from all crazy colors she dyed up, Sara was knitting undyed silk that she will paint later and Sue F. was knitting a shawl from wool she spun from her flock. Aren't you intrigued? I can't wait for the article. Before I knew it I was accepting Sue's offer to chart out the pattern on graph paper. That was a big step for me because I have been confident that I would never knit lace, but then I said that about socks about ten years ago too.

I focused on spinning silk at the Retreat thanks to Sara's generous tutoring. This is what I spun from the 2 ounces of Chasing Rainbows silk that Amy brought me back from Black Sheep a year ago. The roving was gorgeous and the gift was completely unexpected. I love how the color in the silk mimics the color in the bricks. I think I may have bitten by the silk bug as well.
This is where I am on the lace scarf at one ball. It's the same lace that Sue charted for me. In the beginning it seemed that I was ripping out just as much as I was knitting. It's only a 10 stitch repeat over 16 rows and I'm now finding it pretty easy to know where I am. Just the same, I still keep the chart right beside me. I'm afraid that once bitten by the lace bug, there is no cure. If you haven't already been bitten, resist will all your will power or you'll find yourself afflicted with the phrase, "just wait until I finish this row."

7 comments:

Lee said...

Yay lace! Congratulations!

I almost always have to have a chart next to me when knitting lace, even pretty simple patterns -- I think the memorization part of my brain is taken up with random trivia about crappy TV -- a glance at the beginning of the row/round is usually sufficient.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Very pretty Sharon! I wish I could knit, Amy says I can, but the knitting needles just say "QUIT CHOKING ME!!" lol

Jodi said...

The lace bug is right up there with the ladybug! Beautiful project, and it sounds like a wonderful retreat. I love drinking my morning coffee with a group of like-minded knitters.

Mim said...

Beautiful, I always love the colors you choose or dye!

Kathy said...

I think I need a retreat like yours! Save me from all these sheep and kittens!!!! :)

I guess until I can get away, I will have to live vicariously though your posts, Sharon! :)

Michelle said...

Hmm, that scarf pattern might be just the ticket for the red and blue merino I just finished. Can you share the pattern and get me hooked? :-)

Leigh said...

I wish I could knit lace. Especially after looking at yours. I do have one unfinished lace scarf. Somewhere. I really should go fish it out. Later.