Friday, July 11, 2008

Still Spinning Silk

I am just past the half-way point of my schedule purgatory, i.e., no weekends off with people, friends, family, husband, and am trying to make the most my "weekend" days. To that end I decided that I would enjoy as much of these past two July days as possible, given temperatures in the upper 90s and continuing smoke from the California fires - those poor folks. If this is the blow over, what must their eyes and throats feel like?! I hung in there until 94 degrees - I was a wimp. There are no mountains - just smoke.

I am currently spinning this silk. I'm not sure what to call this sheet, but I bought it from Judith MacKenzie when she taught our spinning class at the St Mary's Arts Center in 2005. I loved the colors but this whole page/sheet/blanket of silk intimidated me into doing nothing with it. I am silk emboldened since the retreat.
Fully half of the fluff is spun up, and the remaining fluff is in this basket. Its even prettier in the daylight. Judith had more and I didn't buy it. Buyers remorse, only the other way.
One half of the silk sheet spins up into this bobbin, and it's the small bobbin of a Lendrum super-fast flier. I've managed to maintain a pretty stable and thin fiber, but I won't really know how successful I am until I ply it. I'm thinking it's going to be a scarf, a very short but very pretty scarf. I have decided that the lace bug bite is doubled when silk is part of the bite.
What was the lyracist thinking when he wrote, "Smoke gets in your eyes?" It was lovely for Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, but not so lovely really.

6 comments:

Beryl Moody said...

Sorry about sharing our smoke with you. We are getting pretty fed up with it too and the heat has been terrible. Your photos are lovely, though. Making lemonade from lemons:-)

Your silk sheet is called a brick -- wonderful colors. Aren't they fun to spin!

Robin said...

Lace is soooooooooooo addictive! I might need a 12-step program! The silk is just gorgeous such rich earthy colors. I can't wait to see it plied.

Mim said...

Totally beautiful and inspiring! I have four pounds of silk that is waiting to be dyed. I'm loooking forward to a Wednesday dye day soon?

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Can I come? lol
I just dyed a skein of tunis yesterday, pics in my blog.
Yesterday was really bad for smoke here, and the day before... oh! Friday was even worse!
At least I can see the mountains this morning. I cant imagine what Beryl and her fellow CA'ians are going through...

Michelle said...

The colors in that silk are so pretty, and I like it even better spun up. No aspirations for silk here, which is nice for my pocketbook....

Birdsong said...

I am pretty much scared away from spinning silk at this point, but you have spun much longer, and my excuse is that I have so much fiber to work on already:) I am pretty durn tired of the smoke myself; this is the time of year to be inside.