Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm Out of Silk

It's so nice to finally have our skies back again. I took this from the porch yesterday morning. I was reading my daily readings but couldn't resist the temptation to run back into the house for my camera. I know the fires west of us are only 58% contained, but we're finally getting relief from the smoke.

The silk from my brick is spun and ready to be entered in the fair. I weighed it at 2 ounces. I can't wait to knit it, but wait I must. I'm spinning more Shetland for some commissioned hats, then need to do a skein of merino for a hat before I get to decide what I want to spin for me. After reading the Spin Off article on Kaye Collins Alpaca lace shawl, I think I want to spin alpaca. I took a class from her on spinning alpaca about four years ago at the Conference of Northern California Handweavers at Asilomar, California. It was an absolute treat, but I've never wanted to knit with alpaca, until I read that article. Of course, I never wanted to knit lace either.
I shot this from the mailbox tonight.

10 comments:

margene said...

Your skies are amazing and glad they are back in your sight.

Robin said...

WOW! These sky pics are spectacular! That first one is awesome. I really like the color of your silk. Good job!

Lee said...

Those skies are indeed amazing -- I especially like the ripply clouds.

I, myself, think alpaca is particularly well suited to lace. It is such a warm fiber that opening it up with YOs gives it some breathing room. Plus, it has such wonderful drape and sheen. Mmmm..I love alpaca...

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I love those ripply clouds to, they really catch the eye! Nice to be able to see the mountains to!

Wool Enough said...

Watch out for alpaca. It's as addictive as lace. And then, of course, if you knit lace with alpaca yarn, well . . . .

Leigh said...

The photo of your silk yarn reminds me how much I love silk. The colors in your yarn are really nice too.

Michelle said...

Such stunning cloud photos! And I'm a bit jealous of all your spinning and knitting. I've been doing a lot for me lately, but it's never enough to satisfy!

Sara said...

The silk looks fabulous!

Jane said...

Oh how lovely are the photos -- and your silks sublime!

Am so happy that your skies are clearing, now let's hope your lungs follow right along.

I loved your note on my blog about the photo that you have of your mother in front of her mother's spinning wheel -- what a treasure that is.

And -- Tasha Tudor fans, unite! :-)

Cheers,
Jane

Beryl Moody said...

I love the way you photographed the spun silk. The colors are fantastic and I can't wait to see what you make with it.