Saturday, July 05, 2008

Rug Omission

I was driving home from work tonight and realized that I had forgotten to include this marvelous rug in my final retreat post, so this is a postscript. When Ahmed showed this to us, I marveled at how one could make something woven on a square loom appear to be round. Owning a round rug has no appeal for me, but understanding how those women make one really piqued my interest.
Look at what those clever women did. The rug is woven square; the shape is created by the knots. I cannot begin to imagine how they figured it out, but I marvel at their ingenuity and know they're not getting paid what they are worth. Okay, now I'm done with the retreat.

6 comments:

Robin said...

I have really enjoyed reading about your retreat adventures. Being a rug hooker, I LOVE the rugs that the salesman showed. Seems like you all got tons of stuff accomplished. What a wonderful opportunity for fun and fiber!!!

Tina T-P said...

What a wonderful adventure you had! That retreat center is beautiful (except for all the stairs - I'd be dead meat)

And that button for your colorful sweater - SWEET!

Loved seeing the rugs too - wouldn't it be nice to have one of those in your family room to tuck your toes into on cold winter mornings... T.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I wish I had the time (and want to) to learn how to make rugs on my loom... I am hoping that my DH and my DS get that blasted Bow-Flex out of my spinning room soon, so I can at least get to the loom and look at it longingly. :)

Allison said...

thanks for the blogs on the retreat! how soon i forgot all that went on, and thanks for not "ruining my image" by divulging my commission work! bag isn't done, but all the weaving is. just need courage to cut bag off loom, weave straps, sew. btw, commission work isn't done either =0)
---allison

Mim said...

I love all the pictures of the retreat and the rugs. I still don't under stand the round rug on a square loom!

Birdsong said...

Such innovation is what gives me hope for the human species. Thanks for sharing so much of what you experienced at the retreat.