Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Getting Warped

This is the storm system that has been slowly moving over our house for almost 24 hours now. It's coming from the east so hasn't lost any moisture crossing the Sierras. In the winter we call this system a Tonopah Low and it dumps a couple of feet of snow on us. This is the first time I've experienced this system in August and it's most welcome.
I rely on natural light to work in my studio and it's been so dark that the only thing I've been able to do is wind warps. This warp will be my next set of dish towels.
I agonized over colors for about a week, adding and taking away cones, and I had some misgivings about this pink but all the Google images I looked at of "seaglass" had a pink glass. I think it looks better in the warp chains.
And I wound enough of this coral 8/2 Tencel to make two scarves. One of my favorite sample scarves at Webs used coral and pink. I'll use the Wall of Troy draft for both.
The last warp, actually two warps, I made today are undyed Tencel. Melissa is coming up next week and Rae has offered to show us how to make hand-painted warps. Rae suggested I wind in small bouts so I made four 2" bouts for an 8" scarf for each of us. I've wanted to do this for a long time and am really looking forward to it. I can't get my head around how fiber reactive dyes work so I'll get two lessons at once
I'm leaving in the morning for Grass Valley and will spend a couple of nights with my friend Sue. I have looked forward to this trip and visit for months. I enjoy the Nevada County Fair and to showing the public the art of hand spinning. It's a wonderful fair and wonderful fairgrounds, always a pleasure. I especially look forward to seeing old friends.

No comments: