Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Baby Surprise Jacket


It actually does turn into a baby sweater and only weighs 4.2 ounces, easily made from leftover yarns. I will probably make another one. I found that the information on KnitWiki was very helpful. The first thing under Minor Pattern Changes was "Avoiding picking up stitches on the wrong side of the row," and after picking up stitches on the row side of the row, which you can't avoid under the original instructions, I understood why she said it. It's messy. I couldn't follow her instructions but realized that if all the stitches on holders and the middle section all end after a wrong side, I can knit them all from the right side, picking up the stitches as I go. It requires breaking the yarn and reattaching it. I realize EZ wanted to make the garment in "one fell swoop" as she liked to say, but with all the ends that I already had, one more didn't faze me. Just so you know, the cast on stitches are the top of the sweater. I had nearly finished the garment before I knew where I was.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

So cute! That pattern's on my to-knit list. I must admit that the construction is still a mystery to me -- I read through the directions and was a little baffled. I'll check out the wiki.

Michelle said...

Congratulations! I've done two - and will be doing more. But I'm going to try and figure out a way to add stitches to make the sleeves longer....

Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

Very cute! Isn't geometry fun!

Barbara C. said...

It turned out terrific! I made one and somewhere I got a row out of kilter---a knit row in the midst of the garter stitch. I told the recipient that "only God is perfect"! Remember the quilters who purposely put in a mistake?
Barbara