Saturday, August 19, 2006

Smatterings


This is the silk I recently bought from Mim. She did it on our last dye day. We both used the same color pathways, but silk just sucks up the color. I thought about it for a while and finally asked her to save it for me. I’ll spin this to use as accent color in scarves woven from our Shetlands – that’s the plan anyway. I’m just about finished knitting a Fair Isle hat for the Made in Nevada category at the Nevada State Fair next week. I’m looking forward to ending it with our farm name as the fiber producer. Ian is entering two fleeces too.

When I got home from work on Thursday, I had a nice surprise waiting for me. The silver Shetland that I had sent to Morro was back. If there is any logic in raising your own animals as hobby farmers, I don’t know what it is. You send off the fleece to be processed, paying shipping both ways, plus the processing fees and end up with 1.7 pounds of luscious scrumptious roving. I guess I’ll just have to think of it as an addiction. Then I can congratulation myself on not having a worse one.

I was getting ready to go into town to meet a friend for lunch today and heard the repetitive cheep of a ground squirrel sounding an alarm. I thought maybe one of the dogs had cornered a squirrel. One lives inside the llama pen fence and literally thumbs his nose at the helpless dogs. But they were in the house with me. It was really close to the back of the house, and when I looked out the breakfast nook window, I could see him standing right outside of the French doors, staring into the house. It’s like he was taunting the dogs. Go figure.

1 comment:

Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

That silver grey looks ever so delicious! Morro does a great job, and is currently my favorite processing outfit.